- Create a password for the vi-admin account.
- Download VMA OVA from VMware.
- Download the Powerchute Network Shutdown for ESXi from www.apc.com. The most current version at the time of writing this is v3.0.1.
- Download and install putt.exe.
- Install WinSCP on your local machine. This will be used to put the tar.gz file that you just downloaded from APC on your Esxi host.
- Make sure the vSphere Client is installed on your machine.
- On your vCenter server click “File–>Deploy OVF Template“.
Choose the location of your ovf. Click “Next“.
- Verify the details and click “Next“.
- Click “Accept” and then “Next“.
- Name your VM and then choose the inventory location for the VM. Click “Next“.
- Choose the host you wish to deploy to and then click “Next“.
- We don’t use resource pools. Select the top level cluster and then click “Next“.
- Select the datastore to deploy the VM to and then click “Next“.
- I prefer thin provisioning…especially for the VMA’s. Click the “Thin Provisioning” radio button and then click “Next“.
- Choose the appropriate source network and destination network and then click “Next“.
- Choose the “Fixed” radio button and then click “Next“.
- Enter the IP address for the new VMA and then click “Next“.
- Verify all of the settings, click the “Power on after deployment” box, and then click “Finish“.
- You will see the OVF start to deploy.
Everything look good? Proceed to Part 2…